The benefits of medical massage
With a doctor’s prescription, medical massage can be used to treat a variety of injuries and conditions
Medical massage is beneficial to those who may suffer from chronic aches and pains, and it can also help patients recover from certain injuries.
Here are some FAQs for those who are looking into medical massage:
- What is medical massage? It is doctor-prescribed massage therapy that follows the directions of that doctor. The therapist may use a variety of procedures and techniques, but must focus the treatment strictly on the areas of the body described in the prescription. Treatment takes place over the course of several short sessions.
- Why is a prescription required? Massage therapists are not qualified to diagnose a patient, so a prescription helps describe the medical condition to be treated with massage. The massage therapist will address the areas and conditions outlined by the prescription.
- What are the different types of medical massage? When administered correctly by a trained and experienced therapist, any type of massage therapy can be therapeutic and beneficial to patients. It is not limited to any certain technique or procedure.
- How is medical massage beneficial? There are many ways it is beneficial. Below is a list several benefits of medical massage:
- Helps to decrease inflammation and pain
- Deactivates Myofascial trigger points
- Helps digestion
- Calms and soothes the nervous system
- Improves posture and coordination
- Helps in preventing future chronic pain conditions
- Improves flexibility and range of motion
- Releases sore and tense muscles
If you are suffering from chronic pain, medical massage may be right for you. Be sure to talk to your doctor before beginning any massage therapy and obtain a prescription. You can also contact us with any questions and concerns. We’re glad to help you find answers.